04 August 2021

August Birthdays

Well, here it is August already.  As the old saying goes “my how time flies”.  I don't think I'm quite as late this month as last time but I'm not entirely positive.  We did have two positive COVID-19 tests in the household.  Although wifey and I are both negative (and vaccinated).  Only one of our positive cases, son-the-younger, had any symptoms.  Not too bad of a case for him luckily and he is on the mend.

I have a very small list of birthdays this month, at least for direct descendants.  I do have many living relatives and friends that have birthdays this month, but I won't include them as usual.

First up we're going to start as always with wifey's tree and the first one she has for August is on 17 August 1787, her third great-grandfather William Hutson.  He would have been 234 years old.  He is the oldest on wifey's side of the family for this month.

Next, we have wifey's paternal grandmother this is Lila May White born 19 August 1904.  She is the closest relative on either list this time around.

The last one on wifey's side is her third great-grandmother Cynthia L. Rule.  She would have been 203 years old on her birthday 20 August 1818.

Now we move to my descendant list and for once I have none that I would say are speculative.  All of these have been confirmed.

First, on the 8th of August 1781 my fourth great-grandmother, Rebecca Phillips was born.  She would have been 240 years old.

I'm going to skip over one on the 15th for a moment because I have a story to tell, so it'll be later.  The next one then will be Sarah Ann Burrows.  She is my fifth great-grandmother her birthday was August 19, 1731.  Making her a marvelous 290 years old.

As I said it's a shortlist this month with only three on both sides and here's the last one for me.  This one also has a cautionary tale on blindly excepting sources from online repositories.  This gentleman is my fifth great-grandfather George A. Chapman, he is also the oldest person on this list.  His birthday was 15 August 1723.  He would have been 296 years young.

The cautionary tale I have for this gentleman involves his wife Isobell McIran.  While researching this couple I found several biographies of her husband George that are indexed improperly.  What I mean by improperly is that if you try to bring them in using say ancestry.com, it will give you the same parents, birth date, death date, and everything that George has.  So, it would make it look like George and Isobell are brother and sister!  In the 1700s in Scotland, I'm pretty sure brothers and sisters weren't allowed to get married.  Yes, maybe there might have been some kind of papal dispensation, but I don't see that happening.  So just a heads up – don't blindly import data from any online source without verifying it first.

And that's all I have for August.  I will do my best to get next month’s up quicker but don't count on it I am if nothing else a lazy person.  

Peace,
B

Twitter  Instagram FaceBook
Random Ramblins'


No comments:

Post a Comment